NBC Universal Pushes Further Into Second Life
Less than a month after its launch into the virtual world, General Electric's (GE) NBC Universal division is set to host another event: a show of the company's intentions of leveraging Second Life to extend its brand.
On Wednesday evening, NBC Universal will open its virtual Peacock Room to the Second Life community for the first of its "Sessions: Live from the Peacock Room" series. Live performances by musicians Robert Randolph of Robert Randolph & The Family Band and Marc Roberge of the band O.A.R. will be streamed into Second Life, the virtual world created by San Francisco-based Linden Lab.
Before the event begins at 8 p.m. EST in the Rockefeller destination, NBC Universal will allow Second Life residents to ice-skate and play hockey on the rink in front of the company's virtual headquarters. NBC will also be giving away virtual T-shirts for avatars to wear, as well as autographed CDs from the performers, which will be shipped to real-world addresses.
The Electric Sheep Company, which specializes in bringing real-world companies into Second Life, is one of the developers of the virtual Rockefeller Center for NBC Universal and continues to help bring events to life in the virtual world.NBC Universal and The Electric Sheep Company unveiled virtual version of the famous New York destination in late November amid a bevy of grid problems that Linden Lab were unable to solve. Still, the launch persevered with simultaneous tree lightings on a total of 18 NBC-owned virtual private islands. Each simulation featured holiday decorations, gift boxes and falling snow that will remain for Wednesday night's event. In addition to the celebrated holiday tree and famed ice-skating rink, there are replicas of the NBC Rainbow Room neon sign and of the Top of the Rock restaurant.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV