Morgan's 9/11 Excuse Falls Flat
Morgan Stanley (MS) is in hot water with regulators for using the Sept.11 terror attack as an excuse for not producing documents in customer arbitrations.
The NASD is suing the big Wall Street firm claiming it falsely told investors and their lawyers that critical emails were lost in the terror attacks that destroyed the World Trade Center complex, where Morgan Stanley had maintained a big operation.
Regulators allege the claim was a false because the firm was able recover most of those emails within days of the attack.
The NASD decided to sue Morgan Stanley after it was unable to reach a settlement with the firm.The NASD claims that Morgan Stanley failed to provide pre-September 11 emails to investors and regulators in numerous proceedings from October 2001 through March 2005. Regulators "also charged that Morgan Stanley falsely claimed in many of those proceedings that such email had been destroyed.'' Four years ago, TheStreet.com first reported that Morgan Stanley was
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV