Monday's Financial Winners & Losers
New York Stock Exchange (NYX) climbed more than 4% after the Dutch government gave its crucial backing to the Big Board's planned $14 billion merger with Europe's Euronext exchange. Shares were trading up $4.20 to $102.25.
Citigroup (C) surged after a Merrill Lynch analyst upgraded the bank to a buy from a hold. The analyst predicted significant 2007 revenue growth stemming from lower interest rates and said that Citigroup harbors less deal risk than its peers. Shares were up $1.03, or 1.9%, to $55.10.
MidSouth Bancorp (MSL) gained after the Louisiana-based bank said it would pay a special dividend of 3 cents a share, along with its regular quarterly dividend of 6 cents. Shares were up $1.89, or 6.2%, to $32.50.
Sovereign Bancorp (SOV) fell after an RBC Capital Markets analysts downgraded the stock to on a downgrade underperform from sector perform. Shares were down 18 cents to $25.46.First Mercury Financial (FMR) rose on news that the insurer had been added to three Russell stock indices as of the close of trading on Dec. 15. Shares were up 49 cents, or 2.2%, to $22.58.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV