Friday's Financial Winners & Losers
E*Trade (ET) rose after the online broker says it expects to earn between $1.65 and $1.80 a share in 2007, which is in line with the Thomson Financial consensus estimate of $1.73. The broker also says it will switch the listing for its stock to the Nasdaq Stock Market, away from the New York Stock Exchange, on Dec. 26. The new symbol will be "ETFC." Shares were up 31 cents, or 1.4%, to $23.07.
Northern Trust (NTRS) and State Street (STT) gained after a Merrill Lynch analyst stamped both trust banks with buy ratings. He said the banks will benefit from the strength in capital markets, which should continue through the first half of next year. Northern shares were up $1.26, or 2.2%, to $59.32. State Street shares added $1.66, or 2.5%, to $67.52.
Capital Trust (CT) rose after the real estate investment trust announced a special dividend of 65 cents a share, to be paid along with its regular quarterly dividend of 75 cents. Shares were up $1.57, or 3.4%, to $48.07.
SunTrust (STI) dropped after a Friedman Billings Ramsey downgraded the stock to underperform from market. Shares were down 43 cents, or 0.5%, to $84.67.Asta Funding (ASFI) fell after a Ryan Beck analyst cut the lender's rating to market perform from outperform. Shares were down $1.12, or 3.7%, to $29.16.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV