Investors Bet on Empire Resorts Win
Updated from 11:08 a.m. EST
Shares of Empire Resorts (NYNY) surged 15% Friday following a report that the federal government approved an environmental review of the company's Catskills casino project.
The company owns a harness racing track outside Monticello, N.Y., on which the St. Regis Mohawk Indian Tribe is looking to develop a $600 million casino project. Empire would build the casino. The current site already features 1,500 electric gambling machines, such as video poker.
The New York Times reported that James Cason, the associate deputy secretary for Indian affairs at the Interior Department, said that the agency determined the proposed casino would not have a significant environmental impact.The approval would be a significant step forward for the project, which has been delayed amid political issues and opposition from rivals in Atlantic City, N.J. Cason wasn't immediately available for comment Friday. Nedra Darling, an Interior Department spokeswoman, said a so-called Finding of No Significant Impact, or FONSI, has not been not signed yet. "I think we're near the process to end and it be signed, but we're not there today," Darling said. Empire Resorts indicated in a Securities & Exchange Commission filing Friday that it has not received notificication of a FONSI. "In the event that Empire Resorts, Inc. receives notification that the Tribe has received a FONSI, it will report such information," the company said. Empire shares recently were up $1.24 to $9.67. The stock earlier hit an intraday 52-week high of $10.20. The stock's previous 52-week high of $8.83 was reached in October; the shares traded at a 52-week low of $4.12 in March.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV