Schwab Clears Bear's Path
In a surprising move, Bear Stearns -- long a Wall Street titan in the arcane business of clearing trades -- recently inked a deal with Schwab to clear and execute most of its mutual fund trading, sources say. In recent years, Schwab has become a leader in providing mutual fund clearing services to other investment firms and asset managers.
The outsourcing arrangement means that the hundreds of small brokerages and hedge funds that currently clear stock trades through Bear Stearns now will have their mutual fund buy or sell orders processed by Schwab. The terms of the arrangement are unknown, but it's believed the outsourcing deal is scheduled to last for several years.
The deal, which has been in the works for months, comes nine months after Bear Stearns reached a $250 million settlement with securities regulators over allegations arising from the long-running mutual fund trading scandal. The penalty was one of the largest imposed on a brokerage firm, in an investigation that has collected nearly $4 billion in fines and restitution.In settling with Bear Stearns, officials with the Securities and Exchange Commission painted an ugly portrait of the firm's clearing division, calling it a full-service facilitator and "hub" for abusive traders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV