Venture Dollars Flow to Open Source
Although Azure is now an enthusiastic backer of the segment, it was a struggle to overcome the built-in distrust of open-source evidenced by many industry veterans. Mike Kwatinetz, a general partner in the firm, says, "We didn't want to invest in a company that thought of itself as communist."
Kwatinetz, who was speaking tongue-in-cheek, was making a serious point. The open-source business model is radically different from that of conventional software companies, and the cultural differences can be profound.
Red Hat's business model has a number of subtleties, but in general it works like this: Potential customers can download Red Hat's version of Linux and try it for free. If they like it, they may then buy a subscription from Red Hat that provides support, upgrades and access to newer versions of the software.
Unlike conventional software, open-source software functions under a general license that gives customers access to the source code, and they are free to modify it as they see fit.Meanwhile, tens of thousands of open-source programmers hammer out patches and additions to open-source software and make their work freely available to users.
Siebel, No; Open Source, YesThe growing popularity of open source in the business world is based, in part, on dissatisfaction with expensive -- and often unsuccessful -- installations of mainstream software. Siebel Systems, for example, developed a terrible reputation (deserved or not) for installing problem-fraught customer relationship management software. Eventually, the former highflier was
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV