Wednesday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of Atmel (ATML) were among technology's winners Wednesday, jumping 11% after the chipmaker unveiled a restructuring plan that includes the sale of two European plants and job cuts.
Atmel said the restructuring plan should save the company $70 million to $80 million during 2007 and as much as $80 million to $95 million by 2008. Atmel is targeting job losses of about 1,300. "These initiatives follow a thorough analysis of the company's operations and strongest opportunities for growth," the company said. "While this decision was difficult given the company's many dedicated employees, these actions are essential to better position Atmel to compete and drive value for our shareholders." Atmel expects to take a restructuring charge of $200 million during the fourth quarter. Shares were trading up 58 cents to $5.86.
Tibco Software (TIBX) shares rose 4% after the software company previewed better-than-expected fourth-quarter results. The company estimates earnings of 13 cents a share for the quarter ended Nov. 30, with revenue of $158 million. In September, Tibco forecast earnings of 11 cents a share and revenue of $140 million to $144 million. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call project earnings of 11 cents a share and revenue of $142.5 million. Tibco projects software license revenue of about $86 million, well above its previous estimate of $69 million to $73 million. Shares were adding 35 cents to $9.62.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV