The unimaginative will have scissors, tape and red, green or gold wrapping paper close at hand as they prepare to tackle the problem of disguising objects in paper.
But you can escape Yuletide boredom this season. You don't have to be the Andy Warhol of gift wrap, but don't be a cliche -- make your gifts really stand out with careful wrapping.
Dressing up presents in holiday finery did not catch on until fairly recently.
Gifts used to be wrapped in plain tissue or brown paper; it wasn't until the beginning of the 20th century that the gift-wrap industry exploded, with the first American gift-wrap company, Hy-Sil Manufacturing, opening in 1903, and the reigning king of the wrapping and greeting card world, Hallmark, launching in 1917.
Once out of the dark ages, styles went from art deco in the 1930s to more realistic artwork with pop culture tie-ins during the '60s and '70s, to the slick styles we know today.
On a RollEven with modern gift wrapping's short history, a fresh look is always desired -- so here are a few small companies that are really thinking outside the box.
|Eieio's Bond/Red Paper|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV