Aquila Loses Out on Calpine Plant
Aquila (ILA) lost out in its $230 million bid to buy a 580-megawatt natural gas-fired power plant from bankrupt Calpine.
Kansas City, Mo.-based Aquila said Kelson Energy ended up submitting the winning bid for the so-called Aries plant in Pleasant Hill, Mo.
"The bidding reached a point where it did not make economic sense for our customers. We based that decision on the cost of power supply alternatives which compete with Aries," said Keith Stamm, Aquila's senior vice president and chief operating officer. "Funds we previously set aside for the purchase of Aries will now be utilized for debt reduction and other liability management efforts."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV