Aquila Loses Out on Calpine Plant
Aquila (ILA) lost out in its $230 million bid to buy a 580-megawatt natural gas-fired power plant from bankrupt Calpine.
Kansas City, Mo.-based Aquila said Kelson Energy ended up submitting the winning bid for the so-called Aries plant in Pleasant Hill, Mo.
"The bidding reached a point where it did not make economic sense for our customers. We based that decision on the cost of power supply alternatives which compete with Aries," said Keith Stamm, Aquila's senior vice president and chief operating officer. "Funds we previously set aside for the purchase of Aries will now be utilized for debt reduction and other liability management efforts."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV