Tuesday's Winners & Losers: Bandag
Shares of Bandag (BDG) were among the Nasdaq's biggest winners Tuesday, jumping 11% after the maker of retreading materials agreed to be acquired by Bridgestone Americas for about $1.05 billion in cash.
The deal values Bandag at $50.75 a share, a 13% premium over Monday's closing price of $45.04. The acquisition is expected to close late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter of 2007. Shares of Bandag were trading at $50.44, up $5.40.
Shares of Kroger (KR) climbed 7% after the supermarket operator's third-quarter earnings topped forecasts. The company earned $214.7 million, or 30 cents a share, on revenue of $14.7 billion. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call expected earnings of 28 cents a share and revenue of $14.86 billion. During the year-earlier quarter, the company earned $185.4 million, or 25 cents a share, on revenue of $14.02 billion.
Looking ahead, Kroger now sees 2006 earnings growth of 8% to 10%, up from an earlier forecast of 6% to 8% growth. Shares were trading at $23.80, up $1.47.World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) rose 3% after the professional wrestling producer reported better-than-expected second-quarter results. For the quarter ended Oct. 27, the company earned $10.4 million, or 15 cents a share, on revenue of $96.2 million. Analysts, on average, anticipated earnings of 13 cents a share and revenue of $90 million. During the year-earlier period, the company earned $11.7 million, or 17 cents a share, on revenue of $88.9 million. Shares were trading up 51 cents to $16.65.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV