LSI Logic Strong-Arms Storage Sector
The $4 billion acquisition that LSI Logic (LSI) announced Monday did not come out of the blue.
The chipmaker had frequently hinted in the past months that it was looking to bulk up in order to better compete in its target markets.
But LSI's decision to pair up with Agere Systems (AGR) in an all-stock merger still came as a surprise to many on the Street.
Rather than bolster its undersized consumer electronics business, which management had indicated was a priority, LSI took a different tack, effectively signaling a shift in its recently unveiled plan.Shares of LSI fell more than 13%, or $1.46, to $9.10 on the news. Agere investors, on the other hand, applauded the deal, sending the stock up about 8%, or $1.48, to $19.27. By joining forces with Agere, LSI fleshes out its storage chip business -- an area in which LSI is already strong. The deal also positions LSI to play a larger role in networking and appears to reroute its consumer electronics plan to the cell-phone market: Agere makes baseband chips for cell phones and boasts No. 3 handset maker Samsung as a key customer. In a conference call with analysts after the merger announcement, executives of the two companies spoke of creating a storage, networking and consumer powerhouse, with combined annual revenue of $3.5 billion, more than 9,000 employees and an impressive patent portfolio and R&D capability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV