Real Problems for Virtual Rockefeller Center
Linden Lab faced more criticism Friday after struggling to get its Second Life virtual world back online after a scheduled outage for technical upgrades. The glitches affected several areas of the so-called metaverse and marred the launch of a virtual Rockefeller Center, believed to be the largest single concurrent event in Second Life history.
Second Life, the 3-D virtual world created by San Francisco-based Linden Lab, has become home to both individual users and big businesses. While residents are creating 3-D identities in order to design and sell goods in this virtual world for real money, corporations such as Dell (DELL), Toyota (TM) and Sun Microsystems (SUNW) are making a big push to gain traction in this burgeoning world.
Aimee Weber, who helped
But continued grid outages, as well as database issues following Linden's systemwide update, almost prevented the holiday tree lights from being lit.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV