Friday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of OmniVision Technologies (OVTI) were among technology's losers Friday, tumbling 16% after the maker of semiconductor image sensors posted disappointing second-quarter results and a softer-than-expected guidance.
For the period ended Oct. 31, the company earned $5.4 million, or 10 cents a share, on revenue of $137.7 million. Excluding items, adjusted earnings were $15.7 million, or 28 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call expected earnings of 30 cents a share, before items, on revenue of $139.8 million. During the year-earlier period, OmniVision earned $22.6 million, or 41 cents a share, on revenue of $126.8 million.
Looking ahead, OmniVision forecast third-quarter adjusted earnings of 16 cents to 23 cents a share on revenue of $135 million to $145 million. Analysts project earnings of 33 cents a share on revenue of $146.7 million. Shares were trading down $2.59 to $13.70.
En Pointe Technologies (ENPT) shares more than doubled after the provider of IT services swung to a fourth-quarter profit. For the period ended Sept. 30, the company earned $1.5 million, or 21 cents a share, on revenue of $65.2 million. During the year-earlier period, the company reported a loss of $349,000, or 5 cents a share, on revenue of $74.2 million."We are particularly pleased how our service and product gross profits combined to make the fourth quarter the most profitable one of fiscal 2006," the company said. Shares were trading up $2.97 to $5.61.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV