Thursday's Health Winners & Losers
Hollis-Eden Pharmaceuticals (HEPH) rose after it presented positive data from an animal trial on an experimental drug for rheumatoid arthritis.
The new synthetic steroid hormone, HE3286, showed a dramatic benefit in rodents with collagen-induced arthritis when compared with a placebo, reducing the severity of the disease. Shares were up 4.1% to $5.56.
Pfizer (PFE) nudged up its earnings forecast, saying it will wring a bit more profit out of its business this year than the drug giant had previously expected.
The company raised its earnings prediction to at least $2.05 a share, before items, from the prior estimate of about $2. Pfizer attributed the revised outlook to a "favorable trend in revenues and lower costs" in the fourth quarter. On average, analysts polled by Thomson First Call had forecast $2.02, excluding one-time items. Shares of Pfizer were up 2% to $27.62.Cadence Pharmaceuticals (CADX) reported a wider loss in the most recent quarter as expenses became more cumbersome. The company lost $7.8 million, or $6.01 a share, in the latest quarter, compared with a loss of $2.4 million, or $2.04 a share, a year ago. Operating expenses in the quarter were $8 million, more than three times last year, primarily because of costs related to an ongoing phase III trial of Omigard. Shares of Cadence, which completed its initial public offering last month, were unchanged at $12.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV