Advanced Semi May Get Buyout Bid
Updated from 10:31 a.m. EST
Advanced Semiconductor Engineering (ASX) shares soared Friday after the Taiwan-based chip company said it received an "indication of interest" from a group of investors led by the Carlyle Group.
The potential offer would be worth $5.94 per American depositary share, or nearly $5.5 billion. The price would represent a premium of 13% over Wednesday's closing price of $5.26.
Advanced Semiconductor's chairman, Jason Chang, has agreed to participate as a member of the consortium and to roll the shares of ASE owned by him and his ASE Enterprises holding company into an equity interest in the holding company created by the consortium.Chang and his affiliated holding company own about 18.4% of the shares. Advanced Semiconductor's American depositary shares closed up 80 cents, or 15.2%, to $6.06. The Advanced Semi bid also seemed to propel shares of Taiwanese chipmaker United Microelectronics (UMC), which closed up nearly 8% on heavy volume to $3.46.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV