Implant Makers Poised for Sales Gains
Using terms like "a new era begins," analysts are predicting healthy revenue gains for Mentor (MNT) and Allergan (AGN) now that they can sell silicone-gel implants in the U.S. for women who want breast enlargements.
The ultimate improvement in sales and profits will depend not only on how many new implants the companies can sell but also on how many women choose the silicone version over those filled with saline -- the only implants approved domestically for cosmetic purposes for 14 years.
Wall Street believes the number will be significant.
Analyst Peter Bye predicts the U.S. implant market will switch from 70% saline to 70% silicone "over the longer term." He doesn't give a precise timetable, but his recent report to clients at Wachovia Capital Markets says each 5%-market share switch to silicone from saline is worth an extra 1.5 cents a share to Allergan's earnings and another 5 cents for Mentor.Bye says the average selling price of a silicone implant will be more than twice that of a saline implant, but the manufacturing cost will only be 10% to 15% higher. He has outperform ratings on both companies. He doesn't own shares, and his firm doesn't have an investment banking relationship.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV