That was the day dry-goods purveyor Levi Strauss and tailor David Jacobs -- both drawn to the western U.S. by the gold rush -- patented the small metal rivets found on the pockets of jeans.
These sturdy pants remained primarily for laborers until celebrities such as James Dean and Elvis Presley popularized them in the 1950s. From that point forward, jeans were ensconced in popular culture and fashion.
In the early 1990s, however, denim moved in a new direction.
That is when Japanese tailor Hidehiko Yamane began producing jeans on vintage shuttle looms and hand-painting his trademark seagull logo on the back pockets.
He made just 14 pairs a day and named the jeans for
A Cut AboveBut why spend up to $800 on pants you can easily find for $45? I used to wear each pair of my stiff Levi's 501 jeans for months until they were butter-soft. Then they would rip, I'd buy a new pair and began the long process of breaking in my jeans once more. I'd heard of celebrities spending several hundreds of dollars on jeans. But I didn't understand why until I took a few pairs into a Saks (SKS) dressing room. These jeans were soft. They felt as comfortable as pajamas. And I understood why movie stars always looked so good in them. The reflection of my derriere in the
|True Religion "Jennifer" ($240)|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV