Nasdaq Launches Israeli Index
Updated from 10:32 a.m. EST
TEL AVIV, Israel -- The Nasdaq Stock Exchange launched Sunday the new Nasdaq Israel Index (symbol: ISRQ), composed of 72 firms, across all sectors, that are traded on the exchange and incorporated in Israel.
The backdating-inflicted communications company Comverse Technologies (CMVT) is not included in the index, but other renowned Israeli tech stocks such as Teva (TEVA), Check Point (CHKP), M-Systems (FLSH) and NICE Systems (NICE) have prominent positions in the index, with weightings of 4% to 8% each.
The Nasdaq Israeli index is only the second country-related index to ever be launched by the Nasdaq. The Canadian Index was launched in 2000.Assaf Homossany, managing director at the exchange, says the Nasdaq hopes to create interest in the strong Israeli economy as reflected through Israeli companies traded abroad. "For a long period up until March this year, before the emerging-markets collapse, the Israeli Index outperformed other major indexes," Homossany says. "We believe that the new index will be a useful and indicating tool for investors who want to keep an eye on the Israeli opportunity." Homossany declined to comment on whether there were any discussions with outside firms on the creation of ETFs that would track the index. Dan Harvard, a technology analyst at Deutsche Bank in Israel, is skeptical regarding the chances of significant money tracking the index. But he hopes the exposure created by the index will lead investors to take the next step and look into the Israeli market and the companies traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange.
|A Promising History
Backtesting shows stellar gains for the new Israeli Index.
|Click here for larger image.|
|Source: Nasdaq and Factset Research|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV