The Case for a Google Split
However, while there may be benefits to increased liquidity for Google -- the stock is currently about one-sixteenth as liquid as Microsoft's -- there also may be some risks, according to Caris analyst Tim Boyd.
As the company's stock price soars, institutional investors eager to point out their shrewdness to customers are piling into the stock, and a lower number of shares on the market could actually help boost the share price. Now, 57% of Google's stock is held by institutional investors, up from 38% at the beginning of the year.
A lot of that institutional growth has to do with the company's original decision to choose Main Street over Wall Street during its IPO. But with the tide turning the other way, Google is now on par with Microsoft and eBay, whose stocks are owned 55% and 63% by institutions, respectively.
As its mix of individual and institutional investors comes into line with those of other tech companies, Google will once again return to exploring what it can do to woo the individual investor. And as it share price keeps reaching new highs, a split may be just the answer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV