Gutierrez Talks Trade in China
Hoping to find Chinese consumers willing to pay for legitimate videos, this Monday News Corp.'s (NWS) Twentieth Century Fox announced a deal with a local distributor to start selling its DVDs in China.
However, DVDs that cost as little as 75 cents are widely available in China's major cities. Indeed, at the subway stop near where the Gutierrez press conference was held, a hawker could be found in his usual location selling English-language DVD titles such as Miami Vice, Slither and The Devil Wears Prada.
Despite such evidence of lackluster enforcement, Gutierrez said the Chinese deserved credit for cooperating more closely with U.S. law enforcement on piracy cases. He noted that Chinese courts have recently upheld trademarks or patents in cases for companies including Pfizer (PFE), General Motors (GM), Starbucks (SBUX) and Kodak (EK).
Separately, the commerce secretary said his department is now reviewing regulations that govern the sale of high-tech goods to China. It plans to issue revised rules in a couple of months."We believe the new regulations will be more focused, more specific and so provide more predictability" for U.S. technology companies seeking to make sales to China, he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV