Warm Weather Cools Crude
Updated from 10:47 a.m. EST
Oil prices fell back under $59 per barrel Monday as traders again trained their sights on warm weather forecasts and lower energy demand.
Meteorlogix, a Minneapolis weather forecaster, expects warm temperatures this week to lower heating oil demand in the Northeast, Bloomberg reported. A drop in consumption would also boost supplies of distillates, which are currently about 11% above last year's levels.
Light sweet crude slipped $1.01 to $58.58 a barrel. Wholesale unleaded gasoline ended down 2 cents at $1.53 a gallon and heating oil lost 3 cents to $1.66 a gallon. Natural gas added 10 cents to $7.89 per million British thermal units.Oil prices have been trading in a tight band of $57 to $61 a barrel for the past six weeks as traders alternatively focused on domestic supply levels, OPEC's move to trim production this month and forecasts for lower energy demand. The latest report came out on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV