Three Stocks If You're Hungry for Growth
Editor's Note: Jon D. Markman writes a weekly column for CNBC on MSN Money that is republished here on TheStreet.com.
In a couple of weeks, most Americans will sort through recipes, lay siege to the supermarket, fire up their ovens and prepare to enjoy one of the most gloriously nonsecular, apolitical, communal events on the calendar. That would be Thanksgiving, not the Super Bowl.
What's amazing about this nationwide retreat to the kitchen is just how unusual it is for today's busy families. Three-fifths of Americans eat out every day, and for a remarkable number of families, a local restaurant is the place where they take most meals. In fact, many new homes are built these days without any dining room at all, as buyers rank it near the bottom of spaces they consider important in a dwelling.In about a generation's time, restaurants have become accepted as the third place of American life, after home and office, whether it's Starbucks (SBUX) for breakfast or Applebee's (APPB) for dinner. By the end of this year, industry surveys show that there will be 215,000 full-service restaurants in America and another 250,000 fast-food joints that will collectively generate a stunning $560 billion in sales.
Feeding an ObsessionWith so much money pouring into the industry from overworked moms and dads, competition is escalating. Yet it's a tough business in which to make money. Not only is every street strewn with rivals, but raw-material and labor costs are beyond your control, marketing expenses are high and government health regulators are relentless and capricious.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV