TI Unveils Efficient Chip
BEIJING -- Texas Instruments (TXN) is responding to China's ever more demanding cell-phone users by introducing a chip that promises to lower the cost of handsets offering features like advanced digital cameras and games.
TI's new eCosto platform will help handset makers "develop lower-cost multimedia phones to service the world's fastest growing markets -- countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia," Chief Executive Richard Templeton told an audience of phone makers and telecom operators in Beijing.
As a single-chip processor that integrates several functions, the eCosto boosts efficiency, saving space and extending battery life, TI says.
eCosto is the higher-end sequel to TI's first single-chip cell-phone processor introduced in 2004, which the company billed as a major advance. That chip, known as LoCosto, is now used by 15 handset makers worldwide in phones that cost around $30 to $50.The new eCosto lineup will be aimed at fancier phones that cost closer to $100 and will enter production in 2008. China currently has more than 400 million cell-phone subscribers, and that number is expected to climb to 600 million two years out, according to market research firm In-Stat. "The Chinese market is very large already, and therefore you can see a similar type of segmentation as in the global market," said Alain Mutricy, TI's general manager of cellular systems solutions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV