This Day On The Street
Continue to site
This account is pending registration confirmation. Please click on the link within the confirmation email previously sent you to complete registration.
Need a new registration confirmation email? Click here

National Interstate Profit Slides

National Interstate (NATL - Get Report) said Tuesday its third-quarter earnings fell 20.7% from the year-ago period because of higher losses and loss-adjustment expenses.

The Richfield, Ohio-based insurance company earned $6.5 million, or 34 cents a share in the quarter, compared with $8.2 million, or 43 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 50 cents a share in the most recent quarter.

Third-quarter revenue rose 9.1% from a year ago to $61.9 million.

Premium earnings increased 7.1% to $56.6 million and net investment income jumped 42.5% to $4.5 million.

Losses and loss adjustment expenses rose 14.5% to $38.1 million and losses and loss adjustment expense ratio increased 440 basis points to 67.3%. Underwriting expense ratio increased 420 basis points to 23.8% and combined ratio stood at 91.1%.

"Our top-line growth rate improved during the third quarter as we anticipated and we expect this trend to continue for the remainder of the year in spite of current market conditions. The third quarter of 2006 was our first quarter as a public company in which net income was below the same quarter in the prior year. We remain optimistic that 2006 will finish as another record-setting year for both sales and profits with an annual return on average shareholders equity over 20%, beating our stated objective of 15% plus the rate of inflation," the company said.

This story was created through a joint venture between and IRIS.

Check Out Our Best Services for Investors

Action Alerts PLUS

Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.

Product Features:
  • $2.5+ million portfolio
  • Large-cap and dividend focus
  • Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Quant Ratings

Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.

Product Features:
  • Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
  • Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
  • A custom stock screener
Stocks Under $10

David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.

Product Features:
  • Model portfolio
  • Stocks trading below $10
  • Intraday trade alerts
14-Days Free
Only $9.95
14-Days Free
Dividend Stock Advisor

David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.

Product Features:
  • Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
  • Updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
Trifecta Stocks

Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutiny—quantitative, fundamental and technical analysis—to maximize profit potential and minimize risk.

Product Features:
  • Model Portfolio
  • Intra Day Trade alerts
  • Access to Quant Ratings
Real Money

More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.

Product Features:
  • Access to Jim Cramer's daily blog
  • Intraday commentary and news
  • Real-time trading forums
Only $49.95
14-Days Free
14-Days Free
NATL $30.50 0.00%
AAPL $95.18 0.00%
FB $117.43 0.00%
GOOG $692.36 0.00%
TSLA $232.32 0.00%


Chart of I:DJI
DOW 17,750.91 -140.25 -0.78%
S&P 500 2,063.37 -18.06 -0.87%
NASDAQ 4,763.2240 -54.37 -1.13%

Free Reports

Top Rated Stocks Top Rated Funds Top Rated ETFs