Leaner, Meaner Sector ETFs
The ETF industry continues to evolve before our eyes, with a new line of nine sector ETFs from Rydex debuting Tuesday. Instead of weighting by market cap, like the first generation of sector ETFs, or by a fundamental measure like dividend yield, the Rydex funds weight stocks equally.
The practical effect is that the biggest stocks by market cap will have less of an influence on returns. The mega caps usually don't provide leadership until the end of the stock market cycle, so it makes sense to have a tilt towards smaller companies most of the time.
Equal weighting of the funds brings the average market cap down considerably. The average market cap for the Industrial Select Sector SPDR (XLI) is $99.78 billion, but only $25.84 billion for the similar Rydex S&P Equal Weight Industrials (RGI).
Rydex first did this with an S&P 500 fund, the Rydex S&P Equal Weight Index Fund (RSP). In addition to the industrial fund, it has now brought to market:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV