Morningstar Votes for Mutual Funds
"As we do with conventional open-end funds, we call them as we see them," says Dan Culloton, an analyst at Morningstar.
One possible reason for the perception of a negative ETF bias is that "you've had a gold-rush mentality where providers have been launching funds in a lot of very narrowly defined sectors," the Morningstar analyst says. "We tend to be more skeptical of narrowly defined, sector-oriented vehicles, ones that are more volatile, expensive and harder to use.
"If we tend to say a lot of negative things about ETFs, I think you'll see we are consistent with the negative things about conventional funds," Culloton adds.
TheStreet.com compared Morningstar's comments on core, diversified domestic, large-cap blend ETFs (i.e. not narrowly defined, concentrated assets) and their mutual fund counterparts. The comparison revealed more negative comments about the ETFs than the mutual funds, even though several of the mutual funds were underperforming the market. Consider the following:The first ETF on the list described above, ranked by assets, the Vanguard Total Stock Market (VTI) gets a nice write-up. "Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF has it all, literally," Culloton writes on Morningstar's Web site. "It may look a bit sluggish in the future if small stocks surrender the market leadership [but] this fund can still serve as an excellent core holding."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV