Nvidia Grabs PortalPlayer
Nvidia will pay $13.50 a share for PortalPlayer, representing a modest premium over the company's closing stock price of $13.36 Friday and a 19% premium over the 20-day average closing price through Friday. Over the past year, the stock has traded as high as $33.19 in January to as low as $8.76 in July.
San Jose, Calif.-based PortalPlayer makes chips for digital music players, including some of Apple's (AAPL) iPods. Nvidia makes programmable graphics chips used in computers, consumer electronics and mobile phones.
"Modern mobile devices are miniaturized yet powerful multimedia computers. At the core of their architectures are complex Application Processors integrating microprocessors, system logic, networking, and multimedia processors," said Jen-Hsun Huang, president and CEO of Nvidia. "With this acquisition, we are combining the two essential technologies of next-generation PMPs, PDAs, portable game players, and phones: PortalPlayer's innovative Application Processor technology and Nvidia's industry-leading GPU technology."The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV