Google Takes Local Angle
A radio-driven, pay-per-call model is especially appealing, given that businesses on average end up paying $22 for each call they receive by listing in local Yellow Pages, according to Kelsey Group. And customers who actually pick up a phone to make a call are much more likely to be serious -- and hence valuable to businesses -- than those clicking on a Web link.
Google isn't alone in seeing the market here. Yahoo! said recently said it expects local advertising to be worth three times more than national advertising over the long haul. The new Project Panama platform that Yahoo! plans to introduce early next year easily can be upgraded to include pay-per-call functionality.
And when it comes to local markets, Yahoo!'s myriad media-company relationships may give it an advantage over Google's much more automated approach, which has otherwise proved so successful in broad markets.
However, Google's stable of power hires could help close this gap and set the stage for an "extension" of the search king's worldwide dominance into each neighborhood.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV