Aquila Swings to Profit
Electric utility company Aquila (ILA), swung to a profit for the third quarter 2006.
The Kansas City, Mo.-based company earned $115.7 million, or 31 cents a share for the quarter, compared with a loss of $75.7 million, or 20 cents a share, a year ago. Earnings include a $71.5 million gain on sale of Aquila's Minnesota gas utility business and a $56 million tax benefit. The company had incurred a loss of $20.6 million, or 5 cents a share, from continuing operations for the quarter. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call had been expecting earnings of 4 cents a share for the quarter.
Third quarter revenue rose 5% to $316.6 million. Analysts were expecting $364.12 million.
"Utility operations continue to improve,'' the company said. "Through all of the adversity, everyone at Aquila has remained focused on our customers, making sure they receive the energy that fuels their daily lives. Closing several of the remaining transactions in our repositioning plan has been a significant achievement by our employees during 2006. Debt has been reduced by almost 30%, strengthening our financial position, and the credit agencies have responded favorably to this reduction.''Shares fell 2 cents to $2.58.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV