ICBC Pops in Debut
BEIJING -- In one of the most hyped, superlative-laden China deals in recent memory, shares of Industrial & Commercial Bank of China climbed 15% in their first day of trading in Hong Kong Friday.
The bank raised about $19.1 billion in the offering, the largest IPO in history. In a simultaneous Shanghai listing on Friday, ICBC shares also gained.
The warm reception was the latest in a string of such Chinese listings.
In the U.S., shares of budget hotel operator Home Inns & Hotels (HMIN) closed up 63% in their first day of trading Thursday.Recent debuts from Mindray Medical (MR) and New Oriental Education & Technology Group (EDU) have also been well-received. But even as China bets go, ICBC has won an extra degree of attention as the biggest bank in the world's most populous country. At year-end 2005, ICBC held $726 billion in deposits, equivalent to 19% of all China's bank deposits. It has more than 2.5 million corporate customers, and personal customers exceed 150 million. Edmund Harriss, manager of the Guinness Atkinson China and Hong Kong (ICHKX) fund, says he bought shares because he expected to see a mild pop on the IPO. However, he remains "somewhat cautious" on the financial sector and isn't sure if he'll buy more. "This is very much a proxy on the banking sector
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV