Thursday's Small-Cap Winners & Losers
Shares of Aetrium (ATRM) slumped after the chip supplier warned of a fourth-quarter order slowdown. The company made $1.3 million, or 12 cents a share, for the third quarter ended Sept. 30, reversing the year-ago loss of $1 million, or a dime a share. Revenue rose 149% from a year ago and 6% sequentially to $9.2 million.
However, the company said orders from its two largest customers slowed significantly during the quarter and indicated that the weak bookings activity has continued into the fourth quarter. Accordingly, Aetrium expects a decline in sequential revenue. Shares plunged $1.85, or 34%, to $3.56.
Luminex (LMNX) tumbled more than 20% a day after the Austin-based company delivered break-even earnings. The company, which manufactures biological-testing technologies, posted net income of $111,000, or break-even on a per-share basis, in the third quarter, compared to a loss of $657,000, or 2 cents a share, in the same period last year.
Revenue was $12.5 million, up from the $10.8 million it posted a year before. Shares were lower by $4.18, or 20.7%, at $16 in recent trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV