CuraGen's Loss Narrows
Genetic-analysis technology company CuraGen (CRGN) reported a narrower loss and exceeded analysts' sales expectations in the third quarter, sending its shares higher Thursday.
The company reported a $15.9 million loss, amounting to 29 cents a share, compared with a loss of $22.5 million, or 43 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts were expecting the company to lose 34 cents a share.
Revenue reached $9.86 million, up from $5.2 million in the year-ago period and ahead of the consensus estimate of $8.77 million.
The stock rose 6.4% to $3.98.CuraGen's majority-owned subsidiary 454 Life Sciences showed strong third-quarter sales, driven by its Genome Sequencer 20 system and record demand for its chemical reagents. "We look forward to the anticipated launch of the Genome Sequencer FLX next year, as we believe the flexibility of this instrument will continue to expand the use of genomic sequencing to a broader range of researchers and drive revenues at 454 Life Sciences," said Frank Armstrong, CuraGen's president and CEO. Additionally, CuraGen improved its full-year guidance by $5 million and now expects a loss of $60 million to $65 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV