SunLife Keeping MFS Funds
Sun Life Financial (SLF) says it's not selling MFS Investment Management, the firm's big mutual fund family.
Last month the Toronto-based insurer said it had hired investment bankers to find a buyer for MFS. But for now, at least, Sun Life says it's holding onto MFS and instead will focus on "improving performance and profit margins'' at MFS.
Sun Life's decision not to sell MFS could have ramifications for Marsh & McClennan (MCC), the big insurance brokerage that is shopping around Putnam Investments, another Boston-based mutual fund family. Marsh has hired Goldman Sachs to find a possible buyer for Putnam.Marsh began looking for a buyer for Putnam just days after Sun Life confirmed it wanted to sell MFS. Both MFS and Putnam were tarnished by the now three-year-old mutual fund trading scandal, and each firm paid hefty fines to regulat
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV