PowerShares to Mind QQQs
PowerShares Capital Management has been one of the big success stories in the ETF space, and the company continues to impress.
The latest example came Thursday, when the Illinois-based firm, a division of Amvescap (AVZ), announced plans to take over sponsorship of the Nasdaq 100 Trust (QQQQ) -- the most actively traded exchange-traded fund on the market -- in addition to five other ETFs from Nasdaq Global Funds.
Adding the products to the PowerShares roster will not only give a major boost to the company's reputation -- in one fell swoop, the deal is expected to expand PowerShares' assets more than threefold.
"For as many great products as we have, [this] really gives us some visibility within the marketplace and credibility as a major ETF provider," says PowerShares President Bruce Bond. "To have the most-traded security in the world be a PowerShares is an important thing."PowerShares is currently the No. 2 company in terms of ETFs on the market. But with about $7.5 billion in assets, it has had to play catch-up with companies such as Barclays Global Investors, State Street Global Advisors and Vanguard Group, all of which have more assets under management. The company has so far done a solid job, but with this deal, catching up to the big players will get easier. If the transaction closes -- it requires approval from regulatory agencies -- PowerShares' assets will jump by more than $19 billion to about $26.5 billion. (That's not accounting for normal asset growth.) The companies are not disclosing the financial terms of the deal.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV