Dialing Overseas for Diversification
Among the bushels of new ETFs that have been listed on the U.S. market lately are 10 foreign-sector ETFs from WisdomTree. The sector funds weight their holdings in a similar manner as WisdomTree's other funds, keying off of dividends. These are unique, in that they own no domestic stocks, unlike some putatively foreign-focused funds. They have been in the works for a while, and I believe they could be useful to investors.
Out of the gate, the one that looks most interesting to me is a telecom fund called the WisdomTree International Communications Index Fund (DGG). The telecom sector is a good way to add foreign exposure to a portfolio because every country has a phone company (usually they are among the biggest), and they often pay a healthy dividend.
The fund fits the bill yield-wise -- the index that underlies it has a 4.53% yield, which is a much higher yield than the older telecom ETFs.
The fund is well diversified across 20 countries, with 20.96% of assets invested in British companies, 16.13% in France and 7.68% in Germany. Like all the WisdomTree sector funds, it excludes Canada, but it has 6.49% in Australia.The stock selection is not as well diversified. Although there are 138 holdings, 9.9% is in Vodaphone (VOD), 9.48% in France Telecom (FTE) and 7.56% in Deutsche Telekom (DT). In fact, the top 10 holdings account for 59% of the fund's assets. While most of the other telecom ETFs are top heavy in this manner, it is still important to be aware of. WisdomTree's promotional materials provide back-testing data that compares the fund to the MSCI EAFE Index, but I think the better comparison would be to some of the other telecom ETFs.
|Fund||One year*||Three-year annualized||Five-year annualized|
|iShares DJ Telecom||17%||16%||-0.63%|
|iShares S&P Global Telecom||14%||14.9%||NA|
|WisdomTree Intl Communications||13.4%||16.22%||11.61%|
|*September 30, 2006
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV