Regions' Profits Rise
Regions Financial (RF) says third-quarter profits rose 37% from a year ago because of a combination of cost cuts and bigger profits from its Morgan Keegan brokerage firm.
In the quarter, the southeastern regional lender earned $352 million, or 77 cents a share, compared with $256.6 million, or 55 cents per share. The year-ago quarter included a 6-cents-a-share acquisition charge.
Analysts, as surveyed by Thomson Financial, were looking for earnings of 77 cents a share.
"We reduced operating expenses and achieved higher net interest income, solid fee revenues and lower credit-related costs, all of which contributed to our third quarter's bottom-line strength," says Jackson Moore, Regions chairman and chief executive.Fee revenue at the Birmingham, Ala., company, which has $87 billion in assets, inched higher by 3.5%, to $466 million. Expenses fell 3.5% from a year earlier and by 7% from the second quarter, to $715 million, Regions says. Regions says loans rose 2% from a year earlier, to $59 billion; deposits rose 5%, to $62 billion. Credit quality remained positive. Net charge-offs fell by $7 million from the second quarter and by $13 million from the year earlier quarter, to $24 million, the company says. Nonperforming assets fell by 29% from a year earlier to $312 million. But mortgage banking continued to be a drag on the company. Regions says mortgage servicing and origination fees fell by 5.6% from a year ago, to $33 million. The company expects to complete its acquisition of AmSouth Bancorp (ASO), also of Birmingham, in November. Shareholders of both companies approved the deal earlier this month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV