NitroMed Fires Sales Reps
Beleaguered drugmaker NitroMed (NTMD) has changed its marketing strategy again as it tries to stimulate sales for BiDil, the congestive heart failure medication for African-Americans.
NitroMed, of Lexington, Mass., said Wednesday that it will fire its 120-member salesforce and replace it with a small group of marketing specialists to target experts in heart disease. BiDil reached the market in July 2005
The decision represents an about-face by NitroMed, which originally hired 190 marketers on a contract basis to sell the heart drug to a wide range of physicians.
Now this tactic has failed, too, prompting investors to knock down NitroMed's stock by 20 cents, or 7.9%, to $2.33. The stock fell as far as $2.16, a 52-week low. NitroMed's stock has lost about 90% of its value since January 2005."Sales of BiDil have grown steadily, but they are not growing at a rate that supports the present sales structure," said Jerry Karabelas, chairman and CEO of NitroMed. The drug has been hampered not only by past salesforce problems but also by the reluctance of health maintenance organizations and insurers to cover it at favorable rates. NitroMed initially had trouble convincing insurers to reduce the out-of-pocket expenses paid by consumers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV