On Island Time
A Taste of Paradise
Most real estate brokers who sell islands also rent them.
Rentals give a unmatched taste of the private island experience, but with the comforts of a well-equipped shelter -- electricity, running water and a staff.
Prices for island rental range from a mere $84 a week on
Location, Location, LocationFrom Finland to New Zealand to off the New Jersey coast, any island shopper literally has the world from which to chose. Tropical islands and those close to temperate mainlands such as the U.S., Europe and Australia are the most expensive. If you've got your heart set on a tropical island, though, Palawan in the Philippines has lower prices than Caribbean counterparts: one can even find a few developable islands in the $100,000 range, a rarity in the tropical island market. According to Private Islands Online, the Central American countries of Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama are up-and-comers in the market. Most islands in this area are under a two-hour flight from Miami -- much more accessible than the Philippines.
|A Slice of Nova Scotia Heaven|
|Photo: Private Islands Online|
Enjoy the Good Life? Email us with what you'd like to see in future articles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV