Friday's Financial Winners and Losers
CBOT Holdings (BOT) rose on news that agricultural futures trading at the Chicago Board of Trade set an all-time volume record on Thursday.
Earlier in the week, the Chicago Board of Trade said its third-quarter trading volume rose 21% over a year ago to 199.3 million contracts. Shares were gaining $8.88, or 6.8%, to $140.03
Independence Holding (IHC) slipped after the Stamford, Conn.-based life insurer said it's buying CA Marketing and Management Services, a health insurance marketing company. Financial terms were not disclosed, but Independence said it expected the deal to add to earnings. Shares were trading down 33 cents, or 1.6%, to $21.
Cohen & Steers (CNS) gained after the New York-based asset manager announced a deal to buy the remaining 50% ownership stake in its Brussels based affiliate, Houlihan Rovers. Cohen & Steers will pay for the deal using a combination of cash and stock. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter. Shares were trading up 74 cents, or 2.17%, to $34.90.Federal Agricultural Mortgage (AGM) lost ground after the Washington, D.C.-based credit services company said it would restate its financial statements for the past three years. Farmer Mac said it did not expect the restatements to have any significant effect on its overall capital adequacy or its ability to carry out its business development plans. Shares fell 42 cents, or 1.6%, to $25.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV