RealMoney Radio Recap: Getting a Q&A Clue
Editor's Note: The following is a rebroadcast of a show that originally aired on Aug. 11.
In a special "RealMoney" radio show dedicated to answering his listeners' questions, Jim Cramer said that by first looking at the question-and-answer section in the transcript he can tell the difference between a genuine conference call and one in which management is snowing him.
Taking the Sprint Nextel (S) quarterly conference call as an example, Cramer said that if people read the body of the call's transcript, they would believe the company is doing great. But then the Q&A started, and it was a nightmare, he said.
The second thing he looks for is the guidance, he said. Little to no guidance makes him skeptical, while a lot of guidance is a good thing and provides visibility, he said.Cramer said he also looks for management confidence and company buybacks, including the price the company paid for the buyback. Another thing to look for is if the buyback has retriggered the company's earnings. Energizer (ENR) has systematically bought back stock and managed to raise its bar, Cramer said "That shows false growth, so be careful," he warned. "I also like to hear about what pace of acceleration or deceleration the revenues are at," he said. "Accelerated growth is fantastic."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV