Poor Study Results Sink Corcept
Shares of Corcept Therapeutics (CORT) plummeted Friday after the company said a late-stage clinical trial intended to prove the effectiveness of its treatment for psychotic major depression missed its goal.
In one of three phase III trials, the drug, Corlux, failed to improve a target number of patients' scores on a psychiatric-symptoms rating scale by 50%, the study's main target.
Shares slumped 44 cents, or 34%, to 87 cents on trading volume that was much heavier than normal.
"The study revealed no meaningful separation in response between patients receiving Corlux and patients receiving placebo," the company said in a press release. Results from a previous trial showed an unusually high patient response to a placebo, added Corcept's president and head of development Dr. Robert Roe.At day 56 of the trial, for example, 95% of patients given the drug, and 95% of patients taking a placebo showed at least a 50% response measured by a specific type of psychiatric-rating scale. Corcept said the results of two of the study's secondary goals were also poor. Despite the findings, Corcept will continue to enroll patients in another phase III study of the drug. Phase III is the stage of trials conducted to support Food and Drug Administration approval.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV