Mad Money Mailbag: No Lucent, No Cry
Editor's note: The following are questions received from viewers of "Mad Money," seen every day at 6 p.m. EST on CNBC.
I'm new to the market. Can I make mad money buying Lucent (LU)?
-- Brian from MichiganJim Cramer: I used to own this stock in my charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS. It was a painful and costly position however, as management never could live up to its targets. In my opinion, Lucent's proposed merger with Alcatel (ALA) doesn't improve its future prospects enough that I'd want to invest in the company. Frankly, I believe that viewers looking for technology exposure would be better off owning Intel (INTC).
Want more Cramer? Check out Jim's rules and commandments for investing from his latest book by clicking here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV