Wednesday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of Computer Sciences (CSC) rose modestly after the information technology company said it signed 104 contracts in its second quarter. The pacts have an estimated value of about $2.6 billion, CSC said, and range from two months to seven years. Shares were trading up 8 cents to $48.08.
Aehr Test Systems (AEHR) rose slightly after the maker of testing equipment for chip companies posted better-than-expected first-quarter earnings. For the period ended Aug. 31, the company earned $557,000, or 7 cents a share, on revenue of $7.1 million. Excluding items, the company earned $717,000, or 9 cents a share. Analysts predicted a profit of 6 cents a share. A year earlier, Aehr reported a loss of $244,000, or 3 cents a share, on revenue of $4.6 million.
For the second quarter, Aehr expects that earnings and revenue will be "relatively similar" to first-quarter results. Analysts project earnings per share of 4 cents. Shares recently were up 4 cents to $7.20.
Other technology movers included Intel (INTC), up 50 cents to $20.46; Sun Microsystems (SUNW), down 4 cents to $5.04; JDSU (JDSU), up 5 cents to $2.23; Microsoft (MSFT), up 15 cents to $27.35; Lucent Technologies (LU), up 3 cents to $2.34; Conexant Systems (CNXT), up 6 cents to $1.98; Cisco Systems (CSCO), down 23 cents to $23.27; and Level 3 Communications (LVLT), up 4 cents to $5.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV