Tuesday's Health Winners & Losers
AnorMed's (ANOR) shares jumped after Millennium Pharmaceuticals (MLNM) said it plans to acquire the company in a deal worth $515 million. Anormed has agreed to support the deal, which represents a 40% premium to an unsolicited tender offer from Genzyme (GENZ). Shares jumped 26% to $12.64.
AngioDynamics (ANGO) said earnings rose during the first quarter, sending shares up 13.8% to $21.90. Sales for the quarter were $20.3 million, up 24% from a year ago.
CytRx (CYTR) lost 26.8% to $1.34 after the company said its Lou Gehrig's disease drug arimoclomol did not show a significant change in disease progression. The trial did meet its primary goal of proving the drug's safety and tolerability, however.
Elan's (ELN) shares sank Tuesday after a Piper Jaffray analyst said sales of the company's multiple sclerosis drug Tysabri could be lower than she expected. Shares were trading 2.2% lower to $15.52.PDI's (PDII) shares dropped 9.5% to $11.89 after the company said GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) doesn't intend to renew its contract sales agreement with the company in 2007. Also falling were KOS Pharmaceuticals (KOSP), whose shares sank 7.1% to $44.17, Immunomedics (IMMU), down 6.2% to $1.66, Targacept (TRGT), 4.4% lower to $5.50, and Nymox Pharmaceutical (NYMX), off 5.3% to $3.79. Health stocks rising during the trading day included Acorda Therapeutics (ACOR), soaring 32.5% to $11.26, Critical Therapeutics (CRTX), gaining 10.7% to $2.38, MGI Pharma (MOGN), up 6.9% to $17.05, Crucell (CRXL), whose shares gained 6.6% to $24.31, and EpiCept (EPCT), up 26.5% to $2.15.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV