This ETF Hogs Yield
CVY's price-to-earnings ratio is 11.13, compared to 14.71 for DVY; its price-to-book of 1.68 is also lower than DVY's 2.62. I might take this data with a grain or two of salt because of some of the unusual holdings in CVY.
In addition, the betas are very similar: 0.87 for CVY and 0.85 for DVY. Finally, according to the Claymore literature, CVY's standard deviation (also a measure of volatility, where a lower number indicates less volatility) of 12.52 is slightly lower than DVY's 12.72.
For investors willing to include a dividend ETF in their large-cap allocation as a way of introducing yield, this fund has the potential of being a better mousetrap.I would not, however, buy the Yield Hog just yet. In general, I like to give something a few months of trading to get a feel for what it will do on a day-to-day basis. At a minimum, this fund merits serious consideration.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV