Nasdaq and NYSE Seek China IPOs
BEIJING -- The New York Stock Exchange (NYX) and the Nasdaq Stock Market (NDAQ), worried they're losing out on big IPOs from China, are trying to boost their visibility in the region. They're staffing up and touting the benefits of a U.S. listing to dealmakers at investment banks, private equity outfits and law firms in China.
"Obviously China is a very exciting market. We see it as the fastest-growing market outside the U.S., as well as the strongest market internationally," says Charlotte Croswell, the London-based head of Nasdaq International.
This year the Nasdaq started publishing Going Public: A Guide for Chinese Companies to Listing on the U.S. Securities Markets. Written in both Chinese and English, it details minimum listing requirements, explains the role of investment banks and accountants, and even sets out a sample 20-week IPO timetable, from start to finish.
There's no mystery why the American exchanges are feeling anxious.Last year, China's IPO proceeds of $24.3 billion ranked second only to those of the U.S., whose companies raised $33.1 billion, according to Ernst & Young/Thomson Financial. And in 2005 China claimed three of the world's 10 biggest public offerings. But a U.S. listing is
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV