Friday's Health Winners & Losers
Shares of Epix Pharmaceuticals (EPIX) were among health care stocks' losers Friday, plummeting 15.6% on disappointing study results of its experimental anxiety drug.
In phase III trials, the drug, dubbed PRX-00023, did not show a significant improvement in symptoms when compared with a placebo, the study's main goal. A secondary goal was to show improvement in a certain measure of anxiety, which the company says the data trended toward but results were impacted by a higher-than-expected response in patients receiving a placebo. Shares sank 83 cents to $4.48 in recent trading.
Scolr Pharma's (DDD) shares jumped 4.5% following an announcement that the company has entered a research collaboration with an unnamed U.S. company to develop its proposed flu drug.
The antiviral drug, administered orally, will use Scolr's CDT drug delivery technology. If successful, the companies could enter a licensing agreement to market the drug. Shares were recently trading up 11 cents, or 2%, to $5.47.Gene Logic (GLGC) shares were up 5.2% after the company completed a review of its businesses. Based on findings from the 90-day review, the company says its so-called drug repositioning group has the capacity to significantly enhance long-term shareholder value. Through a number of agreements with large pharmaceutical companies like Pfizer (PFE) and Roche, Gene Logic picks up drugs that have stalled in mid-stage clinical trials and returns them to development. Gene Logic shares were up 8 cents to $1.61 in recent trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV