Private Equity Eyes Israel Tech
TEL AVIV, Israel -- The recent $17.6 billion takeover of Freescale (FSL) by the Blackstone-led private equity group got the Israeli tech industry buzzing with speculation over the possibility of the elephant-hunting season reaching "Silicon Wadi."
At Ernst & Young's 10th annual Journey Conference in Tel Aviv earlier this week, speakers in a panel titled "The Alternative Asset Class -- Trends in Private Equity" couldn't hide their enthusiasm for the "wall of money" heading toward Israel.
Private-equity "people are not sitting on their hands anymore," said Jeremy Blank, senior adviser at York Capital Management, an $8 billion private equity fund, and a panelist at the conference. "Private equity is about the opportunity to actively drive growth in a company you buy, and the opportunities in Israel are really forcing us to create more value."
Still, Israel is challenging in that is has "asset-light businesses" that require less leverage but a more active engagement of management teams, Blank says. In York's case, a $300 million acquisition of
Psagot-Ofek, one of Israel's largest asset management and brokerage companies, turned out to be a slightly tougher challenge than anticipated. Since the deal was announced in late 2005,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV