51Job Has Work Cut Out
BEIJING -- In a move that could crank up the heat on 51Job (JOBS), its rival Zhaopin has won an investment from the leading Australian online recruiting firm.
On Wednesday, Melbourne-based Seek said it will pay $20 million for a 25% stake in unlisted Zhaopin, while also offering "strategic input and operational support," according to a written release. The acquisition is still subject to Zhaopin shareholder approval.
A re-energized Zhaopin will make it harder for top-ranked 51Job to consolidate its hold on China's online job market, according to Kit Low, a Hong Kong-based analyst at Goldman Sachs. "We expect Zhaopin to become more aggressive online, together with
Initially at least, 51Job shares were little affected by the news, closing down 1.7% to $14.11 in New York on Wednesday. The next day the stock was in positive territory again, finishing at $14.50.51Job has a 20% share in China, compared to 15% for ChinaHR.com and about 9% for Zhaopin, according to Shanghai-based iResearch. "We thought Zhaopin was a great player and had a strong management team. What they lacked really was access to capital," Andrew Bassat, co-CEO of Seek, said in an interview. "Because the China market is relatively early stage and high growth, that opens up opportunities that don't exist in a more mature market."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV